What can you see in the following picture? Name three thing in the picture.
Can you think of any mathematical question related to the picture?
- This lighthouse is located in Zahara de los Atunes (Cádiz). Let us calculate its height. Is the picture above a good one? Why/why not? What do we need?
- We need some reference in order to calculate the height of the lighthouse. Is the picture above a good one? Why/why not?
- We need the reference to be located at the same plane than the lighthouse, otherwise it would be distorted... Can you calculate the height of the lighthouse now?
- Write a guess that you think is too low. Write a guess too high. Write an accurate guess.
- What data do you need?
The teacher is 183 cm tall.
- Did we get an accurate answer? Why/why not?
- How should the picture be taken in order to have a more accurate result? (Thales theorem!)
- Bone Collector by Dan Meyer.